August 4, 2015

Leah Jae

I have lots of other updates to do on this bad boy, but I figured I'd start with the most exciting post which is the birth of my beautiful baby girl on Monday, June 1st! And can I just say how much harder it is to update when you can't remember everything? It takes way longer. Shame on me for putting it off for so long.

Here's the before:

I literally had to look up the dates for these belly pics because I couldn't remember how far along I was when I took them! See?! Don't neglect your blog. 
March 11, 28 weeks                          March 31st, 30 weeks
                    
April 11th, 32 weeks                                               April 25th, 34 weeks

I stopped working at the end of April when I was almost 36 weeks and had the whole month of May to spend time with the kiddos and get ready for baby.

We got haircuts and lots of time together as a family of four.




Ellie and I went to the movies...
...and made time to get pedicures (obviously, I mean this is such a high priority).
It was her first (and only) time and she loved it. The nail ladies laughed at her color choice but did as she requested.
The kids liked listening to the baby or pretending to do ultrasounds.
And of course, lots of snuggling and resting.

On May 6th, one of my best girlfriends AnnMarie threw me a baby shower. I know, I know, it's my third and I already have one of each! But she insisted that every baby needs to be celebrated so I thought it would be fun and a great excuse to get together with my girlfriends. I didn't want anyone to bring anything, but they did anyway and I felt so lucky and blessed to have made such great friends here in Northern California. 
She did adorable decorations...

...with even better food (because we all know that's a high priority for me).
Adeline and Cari (who just recently had babies)
Caitlyn, Cortney, and Whitney
Myself with the fab AnnMarie. There were a lot more people and I wish I would've taken more pictures, but I didn't think about it until it was almost done. I had so much fun.
The last belly pic I took before baby. 39 weeks and ready to have the baby two weeks ago. 

Okay I think it's time for the birth story!:

I was feeling great this pregnancy, super great actually. But right when I hit about 36 weeks, I was so done. Mainly because I got a cold (after just getting over one) and it was hindering my already not-so-great nights sleep. I was extremely uncomfortable and just plain tired. 5 days before I had Leah, I was having terrible sinus headaches, like nonstop. I've never had it before and they're terrible. Tylenol took the edge off, barely, and my nose was super stuffed up which made sleeping even harder. Plus I was coughing a lot and huge and swollen and achy and nothing fit and let's face it--miserable. I was so worried about going into labor while being sick and have it hinder my labor (especially the idea of pushing with a sinus pressure above my eyes; I thought my eyeballs would most likely pop out of my head).

Well while feeling all this misery, I started having contractions Friday evening (May 29th) about ten minutes apart but only mildly uncomfortable. Then they died off after about 5 hours. The same thing Saturday night. And, you guessed it, the same thing Sunday night. It wasn't that bad (as far as contractions go), but I wasn't getting much rest and my headaches were quite possibly getting worse and I was just a sad sight to see my friends. Luckily Tristan got off work early on Friday to help me out and then was home for the weekend. I asked for a blessing Saturday night because I knew this baby was coming soon and I was so worried about not feeling well during labor. And let me tell ya, it worked (as these things do).

I woke up Monday morning after a great night sleep (thanks unisom) with still a stuffy nose but NO headache! I was so happy. I was also happy because it was June. If you know me then you know I have this weird thing about birthdays. I did not want Leah to be born at the end of May because nobody remembers birthdays in the 20s! People are much more likely to remember birthdays in the single digits; think about it people--I'm totally right. So far all my babies are due at the beginning of the month (Ellie the 3rd, Caleb the 2nd, and Leah the 4th) and I have had them right around their due date with no 20-something birthdays. YUP.

Anyways, back to the story. I woke up Monday morning feeling good with no headaches and also pretty painful contractions (around 6:00AM). I knew that I was going to have her that day, the contractions were quite a bit more painful, closer together, more consistent, and just plain different. We called the always helpful and amazing in-laws to let them know and they came and got the kids around 7:30 for us. We had our bags (and their bags) packed and ready to go for weeks so it was easy peesy and off we left to Roseville (about a 15-20 minute drive).

I was nervous, as I think all moms are. You can never predict how the delivery is going to go; how the baby is going to do during labor, what pains you're about to experience, and if the nurses will be good or not. I was thinking about all these things as we were driving while also having contractions; I probably wasn't the best travel companion. But I think Tristan is used to it, that's how I am when I'm in labor and in pain. I'm quiet and contemplative, I don't like to be touched or really talked to--I really just want to be fanned (I get hot and slightly nauseated during contractions). I asked Tristan to fan me nonstop with Caleb, but he only had paper to do that with. So this year he was prepared with battery-operated handheld fans. He was so sweet to get some and they were perfect and really helped!

So we got to the hospital and into triage around 8:30, Tristan commenced fanning as we waited for adoctor to come in and decide if they were going to admit me. After about an hour and people coming in and out, they checked me and I was 100% effaced and 4cm. HALLELUJAH. (Since I've been so bad and haven't been updating on my pregnancy, I was previously at 80% effaced and 2.5 cm the week before). So I was admitted and getting in my room and settled around 10 o'clock. At this point the contractions were still bearable and I wasn't quite begging for an epidural yet, but I did let them know I would like one as soon as they were able. (Sometimes they can get them in quick, sometimes they take forever). They put an IV in my right wrist (weird spot but totally worked) and pumped me with some fluids. I hadn't had anything to eat or drink and was pretty dehydrated at this point. I'm good at doing that during my labors. At about 10:30, the nurse anesthetist waltzed in and started getting everything ready for my epidural. I was so happy! My contractions were no where near as painful as they were with Caleb at this point (I attribute that to the fact that my water broke with him and they hurt way worse because of it). Epidural goes in and I'm at a 5 and a half. Unfortunately (as seems to be the case with all my labors) it only works on the left side of my body, but at least takes the edge off on the right. I could still feel the contractions but they weren't terrible and were definitely better than before.

8 lbs 12 oz
At around 11:30, Tristan went and got some lunch, I was feeling a little off but other than that doing okay. And then around noon I felt pressure and discomfort in the nether regions and called the nurse to let her know. I didn't have this with my other two, but I was pretty sure I was ready to push. It was crazy and awesome and painful and cool. The nurse comes in and I'm at 10cm! I went from 5.5 to 10 in an hour and a half. I wasn't complaining. The nurse midwife named Katie came in and was awesome. My doctor was on vacation and so she came in with her 30 something self and bright green glasses and was amazing. I loved her and my nurse (Erin). They talked me through what would happen all while Tristan listened in amazement because he couldn't believe I had progressed so quickly and was really about to push. (I was in labor for 10+ hours with Caleb just at the hospital alone, not including being at home).

I started pushing a little before 12:30 and pushed for 11 minutes before Leah was born at 12:39pm. It was so painful (and I could only feel one side!) and I may have cried a little, but I'm glad I didn't yell or curse or have unkind thoughts so I'm pretty proud of that. Right after she was born they put her on my chest, and it was incredible. I cried in relief, exhaustion, happiness (pretty much every emotion you could think of, I was feeling). They took her off pretty quickly because she had some meconium and the chord was around her neck a little. Luckily, they checked her out and everything was great. They wiped her up, laid her on my chest again and we were back in business.


Literally after I pushed her out I was like YAAAASSSS I'm not pregnant anymore. That's how much I liked being pregnant. And when I heard she was almost 9 lbs I was like WHOOP because big babies are awesome (I was pretty proud of myself too).

After I had the baby, in comes Janelle (who is Tristan's coworker's wife from when he worked at Big O Tires). We were so excited that we were able to have her there with us! Her and her husband Tony are so awesome and we were lucky to be able to see her.

The next few days were spent snuggling and enjoying my baby girl.
Ellie and Caleb meeting baby sister for the first time. They each brought me a little gift for the baby (thank you Lesa). They stayed that night at Nana's and Papa's and were so excited (they had been looking forward to it for weeks). 
I sent Tristan home that night so he could rest and my mom too. I had the nurses if I needed them and was feeling great (now that I wasn't pregnant anymore).
So I got extra cuddles with her in the mornings.

 
Meanwhile at home, Ellie and Caleb enjoyed being silly with Grammy.
My mom flew out Monday evening and stayed the whole first week. She cooked, cleaned, did laundry, held the baby, played outside, and made us all appreciate what a great woman, mom, and grandmother she is. Love you mom!
We ended up having to stay in the hospital for two nights because Leah had some jaundice that they had to make sure didn't elevate too much and also some significant weight loss.
After monitoring her levels and weight she was cleared to go home! We had to take her every day after that to the doctor's to make sure her levels didn't require UV lights. Luckily they never elevated that high (but was still high enough to have to monitor) until finally (after a week) they started going down. She also started gaining her weight back; we were so grateful. 

The kids were happy to have their baby sister home with them, Tristan was super grateful to be home (he was convinced they would have us stay another night) and I was happy to be in a comfortable bed free of noise and interruptions, other than baby Leah of course, which I welcomed.

The first week I literally had to wake her up to feed her, pumped 25 oz a day in addition to nursing her, and got better rest than I had in the last month. After two months (updates to come soon for her) I still get great rest, and she wakes up once a night to eat. I feel so grateful and undeserving of such a good baby. We love you "Baby Yee-ya" as Caleb says.

5 comments:

  1. I loved reading every part of this! I wish I could have been there (after the painful part of course) to cuddle that sweet baby girl! Way to go Markie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the birth story (it always amazed me how different labor is for each woman!), but I am mostly baffled at the fact that you pumped 25 oz A DAY! Mind blow. Robert would feed him a 4 oz bottle before bed when he was that little and I struggled to get like 3 when he was eating 4. Woah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. umm. the photos of your kids meeting baby for the first time. is PRICELESS. the excitement on ellies face is adorable. you look so fantastic for having a baby. and while prego. loved loved the birth story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're amazing in every way. I loved being able to read this story. Your children are beautiful, you are beautiful, and I just love you guys so much!

    ReplyDelete